Question: What filter to use?

zanesmumma

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

Will soon be moving my axolotl to a larger tank and was wondering what sort of filter you think is the best to use? I've found undergravel ones on ebay but not sure if that's the best thing? Please let me know, only new to this.

Well an under-gravel filter requires gravel, and gravel is a health risk (impaction) for an axolotl, so an under-gravel filter is a bad idea.

What size tank are you looking at getting? that would determine what type of filter to get. An external canister filter is best for a larger tank, and using a spray bar reduces water current.

I only have a small tank (2 ft), so i use an air pump driven filter. I'm sure other people will have some more specific help.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you could have found out what you needed by doing a quick search.
Also look on these websites for information, if you haven't already.
http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

Last edited:
For my two cents worth, I'm a big believer in the external canister filters. I have one in my 4' tank with a spray-bar that stretches about 3' across the back wall. This gives me excellent filtration and virtually no water movement thanks to the long spray-bar.

Canister filters are also very good as far as cleaning goes and they have lots of room for an extensive bio-filter to develop in the canister.

I am also looking at getting a small external canister filter for my tank.

I saw some on ebay for about $50 including postage, do a search for 3-Stage EXTERNAL FILTER.

Whoa... that is phenominally cheap for a canister filter. Mine's a fairly modest one and it set me back AU$200 retail.

I've just done a bit of a search on it and read a couple of reviews (it's a Rapids Mini Canister). They all seem to be pretty positive about it so it looks like a good piece of kit.

Anyone got one? Good experiences? Bad reviews?

Nice find Phil!

Yeah, i was a bit skeptical at first as well, but i have found mostly positive reviews.
I've decided to buy one, so I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. zanesmumma, sorry for taking your post on a slight tangent.

I use a submersible filter its for a a 75-100 liter tank even though mine filled to about 75 at the moment, it better to get a good powerful filter and find some way to deflect the current as it will help to maintain good water quality. I advise against under gravel filters for axolotls the gravel which you shouldnt be using anyway because they swallow it traps too much crud and you will need to siphon it regularly. Get a submersible or canister filter thats nice and powerful but not too powerful for the size of the tank.

I have a couple little mini-canisters that are similar, and they're OK. Mine are a slightly different design (Tom Rapids Mini Canister), but there's not a whole lot of difference. Mine pumps a little more water than that one. My advice on it is that if you get one of those, forget about using it for mechanical filtration and fill it up with ceramic for biological filtration. They clog really fast with mechanical filtration, and there's too much bypass for them to be truly effective at it, anyway. The mechanical isn't as important as biological, anyway. I use my filters on 20 gallon tanks, and I wouldn't recommend them on anything bigger than that. Lots of people only recommend them on tanks up to 10 gallons.

How large of a tank are you going for? I absolutely love Eheim filters. I have one, and can't wait to get more. Not a ton of water flow compared to other models, but a ton of space for nitrifying bacteria to grow, and great flexibility.

Just make sure the filter fits the tank.

Over-filteration may sound like a good thing but too much water flow will stress out your axolotls. :blob:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back