Fern or Moss?

Probably the moss. You would most likely need to attach it to a piece of wood or rock for best results. Java moss is the easiest to care for.

It could be any number of things. . . Could be Java moss, Christmas moss, or Riccia fluitans- look into those to see if those look like what you're looking for. Aquatically, Java moss and Christmas moss don't generally carpet things like a lawn.

Baby tears, or dwarf baby tears could also be what you're talking about.

Question for myself actually. Can you even plant a carpet wit axies? I feel like axies would tear it apart.

Sure you can do a tank "carpet" for axolotls, but it takes months, even years. I used to use the plant sold as "micro sword" or "chain sword" (which is a cool name that evokes great visuals;)). Riccia works well too, but grows best in axolotl unfriendly conditions for me. Java moss works too, but the axies will tear it up. (mine love to "burrow" in theirs...)

The trick is to set the tank up in advance, and then wait a long time before adding the axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back