Three of my CFBN died!!!

MaDsci

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
MaDsci
They all died one day after each other. At first I thought there was an epidemic going on but then I noticed that the only ones that died were the ones that ate the frozen bloodworms. Could it be the worms?

I have heard of this kind of thing happening with LIVE bloodworms (it happened with the kind of live bloodworms in the UK, which really are bloodworms, not the kind in the US, which are usually blackworms). But I've never heard of it with frozen ones.

By all means, don't feed out any more of the bloodworms. Food contamination is always a possibility. Get a fresh batch, maybe a different brand. Hikari bloodworms are certified to be pathogen-free, although it's possible for them to become contaminated in other ways.

Were the frozen bloodworms thawed completely first? If not, they were likely impacted. I'm so sorry. If they were thawed, did you check the water, temps, etc?

Dana

We are going to need more information.
How long have you had the newts? What are the conditions(temps, water quality, tank size)?
Impaction in my opinion is completely our of the question, since no C.orientalis is able to ingest a whole cube of frozen bloodworms. I´m personally inclined to think other factors, like water quality or perhaps illness might be the culprits.

Sorry, I understood impaction came from any portion of food that was still frozen, not ingesting the whole cube. If that's pretty unlikely, I'm guessing these were WC pet shop purchases arriving in poor shape.

Dana

We are going to need more information.
How long have you had the newts? What are the conditions(temps, water quality, tank size)?
Impaction in my opinion is completely our of the question, since no C.orientalis is able to ingest a whole cube of frozen bloodworms. I´m personally inclined to think other factors, like water quality or perhaps illness might be the culprits.

I've had them since the beggining of the summer. Don't really know what the temperature really is but I assume around the 20s. I do about a 25% water change once every 2 days since they destroy the plants. The tank is 20gallons. You know, before, I fully thawed the worms in a container first and then I put the whole container into the tank and they did fine. But then afterwards I just threw a whole frozen chunk of worms into the tank and that was when they started dying. I havn't seen them eat straight from the floating chunk but they eat the worms that thaw off and fall to the aquarium floor.

Could be an illness, I had one plant with beard algae but it's been removed and I havn't fed them since, they've all been placed in a quarantine tank.

Get a thermometer and be sure your temps are low enough. They can survive for awhile at higher temps, but it harms their immune systems and are more prone to illness. It may take time before seeing problems, but keeping them at higher temps will have longterm adverse effects. I would thaw the bloodworms completely before throwing it in. Do a complete water change and find a thermometer - they can be very inexpensive.

Were they bought from a pet store? If so, they are likely WC and while they can appear to be "fine" for awhile, they often are quite sick due to the stress and conditions during transportation.

Good luck,
Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back