Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

On the Web:The population of a unique Mexican amphibian drops 90 percent in four years

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
ScientificAmerican.com, 28AUG09:
The population of a unique Mexican amphibian drops 90 percent in four years

(Includes a link to Caudata.org's Axolotl Site!)

Urban growth is quickly driving one of the world's most bizarre creatures into extinction. According to a new study, the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum), a Mexican amphibian that never metamorphoses past its larval stage, has seen a 90 percent population drop in the last four years. Only an estimated 700 to 1,200 axolotls now remain.

Read more...

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Until humans stop their population growth every animal will see its population drop 90%. I don't see that happening people are to selfish and think they deserve to have kids.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Until humans stop their population growth every animal will see its population drop 90%. I don't see that happening people are to selfish and think they deserve to have kids.

We've produced a lot more axolotls than children at the Shrom household.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice find Johnny - I've commented on it over at SciAm.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Well people could adpot kids from orphanages. There are, I belive thousands of kids that die from hungar in Africa alone. People think that the Earth is thier playground and they can do whatever the heck they want regardless to wheather or not it kills or threatens animals. Animals have just as much if not more right to the land and resources of the Earth in my opinion.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Whoa...easy there folks...

Remember
Code:
Ambystoma mexicanum
lives in what used to be two lakes. Tenochchitlan was there before Mexico City. It is a sorry thing, but think about how many species have gone extinct where you live. I think it is safe to bet there are many, many critters that are as equally screwed as the axolotl in urban areas all over the world.

Arguing over how stupid people are and having babies is way off topic here, and frankly, pointless.

Breeding wild type axolotls, and weeding out the "color morphs" and genetically altered fad specimens is much more productive than arguing.;)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I can´t find the words to express how much i agree with you, Johnny....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!