Found Pebble in Tank with no Substrate

CreekDevil

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was curious if anybody else had a similar experience. Today while feeding my axolotl a couple of chopped earthworm pieces, it had spit one of the pieces out and then I noticed this pebble in another region of the tank mixed with some partially digested worm. Since I have no substrate in my tank, I assume that the axolotl was kept in a tank that had gravel. I received the axolotl through the mail, so I have no clue the conditions in which it was kept. I've had the axolotl for 19 days. I was wondering if it this is too long of a time period for the pebble to be in its digestive tract (at least from esophagus to stomach). I removed the pebble from the tank as soon as I saw it. It's about 5mm at its widest and very spherical. I've attached a photo of the pebble as reference.

Attachments

• smrock.JPG
    smrock.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 239
This happens sometimes .It merely means your axie was in a gravel substrate at some point in it's life.

I had one that deposited pieces of gravel years after it had been in a gravel tank...which is why aquarium gravel is such a poor choice for axolotls.

I occasionally get blue gravel from my axies' poop even though they are housed in a sand substrate tank. The transit time for the gravel to be passed is variable and can take months and years.

I always contemplated about writing a fictional story where an axie pooped out a diamond..

Ive has my axy 6 weeks and he just started doing this!
its strange!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back