2nd batch of eggs in 16 days!

jeangenie149

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Jean
:confused:Hallo... I have two young axies and the female laid eggs on 14th August, but they were not fertilized This morning, 16 days later, I have found more eggs. I don't think they have been fertilized either. I thought they only had eggs about every 4/6 months or so. Can anyone advise please?

If there is a male and a female axolotl together and the conditions are right I think she will just keep laying. When I had my two together I had two lots of eggs two weeks apart. That is why it's best to keep male and female apart when you don't want eggs, as it can put a lot of stress on the female continually laying.

Perhaps your axolotls are too young to lay fertile eggs, in which case I would think it's even more important to seperate them.

Thank you Kerry for your reply. I think I will have to seperate them if that is the case of the female keep laying eggs. If she is on her own does that mean she will not produce eggs? Sorry I am a bit nieve about this.

I believe there is a very slim chance of her laying eggs without a male around, but I don't think it's very common. I have had my female apart from the male for a year with no problems.

By the way, a seperate tank is better than a divider, my female managed to climb over a divider to get to the male, hence the second batch of eggs!

Thanks Kerry...I will have to get another tank then. Actually she is still laying the eggs .. The male has been hiding in the tunnel all morning.. As you say they are too young to have fertilized eggs yet. I have not seen any 'contribution' from the male anywhere in the tank, although is has very mature 'male bits'. I think they only about 9 months old and around 8 inches long, so not mature yet. They must be happy though! Last night the female did a strange thing..she was laying on top of the males back lengthwise. I remember she did this before she had the last lot of eggs! ..One last thing, as they have always been together, will they miss each other if seperated?

Axies don't bond monogamously like many other species of animals. They only get together to breed and in their natural habitat, go on their merry ways therafter. Its very unlikely your axies will 'miss' each other when separated.

I had a pair that bred like clock work every few weeks for years. (just about after every water change!) If you do not want to raise up the eggs, leave them be, they make great axolotl snacks.

Sorry for delay in reply..Thanks for the advice. I will see how they go as I would like to keep them together if possible. Should the eggs actually get fertilized I will try to hatch some. I do have everything ready ie: BBS hatchery and another small tank for the initial eggs.. so long as the female does not get too stressed. Othewise I will have to separate until they get a bit older. Thanks again

Re: 2nd batch of eggs in 16 days! update!!

:D Just an update... On Friday I was doing a water change and vac-ing the bottom of the tank and noticed eggs that were developing... I found 20, so I quickly put them in a breeding net trap (the type that hangs inside the fish tank) that I have used for my tropical fish. So they are still in the same water etc as the parents. Twenty will be as many as I could cope with if they all survive. They seem to be getting a little bigger,and staightening out, so hope all will be well. I have the bbs hatcher, which I shall prepare nearer the hatching date and another fish tank with air stone standing by. That was quite a surprise. Most of the eggs did go cloudy initially and I assumed they were the same as the first batch.

My juvenile male has managed to fertilise both of my females eggs. I thought he was too young as well, however he does not seem to know this. Boys can mature faster than the females. I am now going to separate my male as he seems very keen on this new experience :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back