Feeding pinkies to my tiger salamander

firesalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
Hi, I was wondering if i would be alright to feed pinkies to my 5 inch long tiger salamander?

It is possible but I would recommend it only as a treat as seldom as possible since pinkies are high in fat. The best thing to feed a tiger is nightcrawlers as they are nutritionally balanced. I feed mine mainly nightcrawlers, a few crickets once a month and if they don't eat for a few weeks during the summer I feed a couple waxworms. Waxworms are also high in fat and should only be used as an occasional treat.
Hope this helps.

Eve is right keep away from the pinkie mice. They will make your salamander obese which will end up killing it. Your tiger can live to be 20. But it you start feeding it pinkie mice you can cut that by more than half. Stick with worms, crickets, grubs,pill bugs and maybe a little sliver of fish fed by hand.

My tiger salamander has the power to get skinny very qwickly so I am trying to find a fattening food for him.

I'd stick to waxworms in that case, you can feed a pinkie if you really wish but it's really not ideal. A tiger fed on pinkies will become obese really fast, look at the 13th picture on the care sheet, and as Bill said it will cut down his life span if it becomes obese.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back