Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

1 marb sal is dominating it seems

jbherpin

Reaction score
I have a few Marbled Salamanders, and 1 is always out in the open and feeds from my fingers, or tongs. The others are subterranian and hard to verify they are eating. Short of digging them up, what are my options? I am thinking of moving the outgoing guy to his own tank, and leaving the others and see if they start "showing up". I know they are very hardy and stout, so I am not too worried about a little time not seen. Thanks a lot!

-jbherpin-

katebutton

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt taking the more "social" of the group out, but I don't think that's going to change the fact you never see the others, or necessarily how much they're eating. I have a marbled that I never see unless I'm changing the cage substrate, and it's always very chubby when I see it. As long as you're feeding enough, all the sals in the tank should be fine. It's unusual for a marbled to be so bold- all the others in your group that hide are actually behaving normally for that species.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I know all about this species and it's tendancies to stay hidden. My question was more focused on the seperating of them, and the benefits that could provide. I do appreciate the feedback! I didn't want you to think I hadn't researched them prior to my acquisition. They were on my wish list for many years before I got the chance!

Thanks again, and if anyone else has something to add, I'd love to hear it!

-jbherpin-

katebutton

Reaction score
I think you answered your own question then. You said you know they're stout and you know that marbled salamanders are elusive, so if you're feeding them enough then I think you're fine. Like I said, I don't think removing the outgoing one is going to change anything with the others. I wouldn't let the one marbled's tigirinum-like personality make you second guess yourself.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I think you are right, Kate. I did kind of think of it from a tigrinum view, thanks for leveling my point of view. I will keep him in there, and just make sure to overfeed a naked area in hopes that they( worms) will be discovered in the dirt naturally.

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!