Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Somethings very wrong!

Beats

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had my two axolotls for about 4 months now and of late one of them hasn't been eating he has lost total interest in it. Now he's become really thin and ill. He has what looks like a fungus on his fans which only started appearing days ago and now it looks like his skin is peeling off. He just floats at the bottom of the tank. I've put him in a seperate container and I've been changing the water daily still not eating and nothing has changed with his skin and eating wise. He has been a little more active in the container though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help :)

2qas4rn.jpg

mechanic380

Reaction score
Hello,
I am sure someone will be able to give you a definitive answer shortly. In the mean time it might help to familiarize yourself with salt baths and refrigeration (frigging?). A search of the forums should bring up some info. Also check axolotl.org for the same. If you can, check the temperature of their water and water parameters. Study this a bit as I am pretty sure these areas will be the recommended remedy. I don't keep axys so wait for a more informed opinion before using any of these procedures.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Certainly looks like fungus to me.

Here is a link for you on fridging.

Salt baths need to be given 2-3 times daily.

Prepare a container of fresh dechlorinated water. Dissolve 2 teaspoons of salt (non-iodized) per litre of water. Leave axolotl in the bath for about 10 minutes, no more than 15 minutes though as the salt will start to damage the gills and skin. This should be repeated everyday until the fungus issue resolves itself.

Once you get the axolotl in the fridge and the salt baths started you need to figure out what caused this issue.

What are you water parameters and water temperature?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes positively fungal infection. Please follow the abovementioned advice and links.

Beats

Reaction score
I've started the fridging and salt baths and he seems far more active.

I think the cause was because of the live plants I added they might have been carrying something /:

I added Java ferns I decided to get rid of them because the problems started after it was added.

I added river stones a few weeks before the plant. :s

I'm not sure

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Beats,

While the axolotl is enjoying his (or her) holiday in the fridge - would you be able to advise on your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?

Also, what is the water temperature? Axolotls are cold water critters - warm water will make the axolotl quite sick.

Water quality and temperature issues are the usual suspects for fungus.

You mentioned the problems started after you added the plants - did you add anything such as 'plant fertilizer' or any other chemical to the tank?

River stones look lovely - but are a pain when it comes to maintaining tank cleanliness - a great deal of grot will accumulate and get trapped underneath which wreaks havoc with water quality. Water quality is most important to an axolotls health. How frequently are you cleaning underneath the rocks?

Welcome to the site :happy:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1