Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand for axy tank ?

coichards

Reaction score
Also I have heard of people using pool filter sand (something like that :errr:)

You would be able to buy that at specialty pool shops.

But I would reccomend that play stuff from bunnings and remember to give it a quick pour through a strainer to remove any sticks, bark, rocks ect. as the sand comes from big piles in the yard and is just bagged so you never know what 'surprises' you may find in it. :tongue::tongue:

Toptex

Reaction score
Yes, Im about to buy some sand too. My axies are on a glass bottom atm. I previously had builders sand and it proved to be a nightmare. The tank got really cloudy and no matter what I did I couldn't clear it. I started the tank again minus the sand and as easy as it is to clean, they do slip around. So I was thinking of getting some aquatic sand. I went and priced it at pets paradise and they quoted me $29.95 for a 10kg bag. I need two!! Im not sure what Bunnings sand is worth, does anyone think its worth the guarantee to get the aquatic sand? I also noticed that this sand is quite course as opposed to the play sand. That alone should steer me towards Bunnings eh. :happy:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, Im about to buy some sand too. My axies are on a glass bottom atm. I previously had builders sand and it proved to be a nightmare. The tank got really cloudy and no matter what I did I couldn't clear it. I started the tank again minus the sand and as easy as it is to clean, they do slip around. So I was thinking of getting some aquatic sand. I went and priced it at pets paradise and they quoted me $29.95 for a 10kg bag. I need two!! Im not sure what Bunnings sand is worth, does anyone think its worth the guarantee to get the aquatic sand? I also noticed that this sand is quite course as opposed to the play sand. That alone should steer me towards Bunnings eh. :happy:
Assure that the sand sold as 'aquatic sand' is sand intended for fresh water aquariums. Do not use marine sand intended for use in salt water aquariums, it generally contains crushed coral and salt which is unsuitable for use with caudates.

Builders or construction sands often contain additives which again is unsuitable. Play sand and pool filter sand are generally fine as they are just silica sand - which is the sand you want to use. Do rinse the sand well before using.

Aimee

Reaction score
I would be careful when buying aquatic sand that claims to be "fit for freshwater aquariums". I recently decided to try some (spent almost $25) that claimed it was fit for freshwater. Before I bought the sand, I emailed the company and asked if it was safe for fresh water amphibians. I received a reply reassuring me that the sand in question was, indeed, safe for all freshwater animals, including amphibians.

Despite this assurance, I decided to let the aquatic sand (after thoroughly rinsing) sit in a bucket with water and see if it altered the water chemistry over time (since I've been having so many issues with substrate lately). Within two hours the pH of the water jumped from 7.6 to 8.6 and my tests couldn't even read the water hardness! Suffice to say, I was both relieved (for not having put it in Sushi's tank) and very angry. I'm currently emailing the company (CaribSea), trying to get them to change their labels, but I have yet to get any response from them.

Moral of my story: Don't risk it. Apparently companies are willing to lie in the name of profit, even if it means harming the very animals they're supposed to be providing for. You're better off saving time, frustration, and money by buying play sand :happy:

Last edited:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would be careful when buying aquatic sand that claims to be "fit for freshwater aquariums". I recently decided to try some (spent almost $25) that claimed it was fit for freshwater. Before I bought the sand, I emailed the company and asked if it was safe for fresh water amphibians. I received a reply reassuring me that the sand in question was, indeed, safe for all freshwater animals, including amphibians.

Despite this assurance, I decided to let the aquatic sand (after thoroughly rinsing) sit in a bucket with water and see if it altered the water chemistry over time (since I've been having so many issues with substrate lately). Within two hours the pH of the water jumped from 7.6 to 8.6 and my tests couldn't even read the water hardness! Suffice to say, I was both relieved (for not having put it in Sushi's tank) and very angry. I'm currently emailing the company (CaribSea), trying to get them to change their labels, but I have yet to get any response from them.

Moral of my story: Don't risk it. Apparently companies are willing to lie in the name of profit, even if it means harming the very animals they're supposed to be providing for. You're better off saving time, frustration, and money by buying play sand :happy:

CaribSea specializes in aragonite which is indeed marine sand made from crushed coral - contains calcium carbonate which is the reason for your pH increase. Look for silica (silicone dioxide) sand.

It's great that you had the forethought to test the water containing the sand before using it!

Aimee

Reaction score
Yes, I had heard that CaribSea mostly specialized in aragonite, but I had also heard that they made sand that was safe for freshwater aquariums as well.

There was no materials list on the bag. The label specifically stated that it was safe for freshwater aquarium use and that it would not effect pH and the representative that emailed me back swore up and down that the sand would not alter water chemistry. Lies! :mad:

Currently my little one is living in a glass bottom tank; and though he constantly slips and slides around, he seems to be taking his substrateless tank with good humor. So for now, I think he'll stay that way...at least until I get over my fears of substrates :rolleyes:

Blaze

Reaction score
Pool sand is very expensive. I had a squiz at some and I was blown away with the price!
I bought the bunnings play sand and have no troubles with hardbess and readings and my waters crystal clear =]

Toptex

Reaction score
Well thanks for the heads up. I will now definitely go for the play sand.
Im feel so gullible at times and of course believe the labels I read. It's a lesson to question. My first substrate was the small bite sized pebbles because the pet shop owner told me that they had always kept there axies on the pebbles and had never had any problems. It was only a matter of time I'm sure.
What would I do without you caudata.org? :happy:

zanesmumma

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys! will definately be going to Bunnings this week to get some play sand. do have any idea how many kilos i would need for a 3ft tank? And also, what's the best way to clean the tank with sand in it?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't know how many kilos it is but one big bag should do the trick. Don't worry about leftover sand, you'll eventually need it anyways.

The easiest way to clean the tank with sand in it is to use a turkey baster and spot clean it as needed.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I get sand from a lake near my house. I just rinse it very well with clorinated tap water in a bucket. It takes about 20 minutes to clean out all the fine particles. They I heat it up to 400 degrees in my oven. And I have free naturally looking sand for free.

Toptex

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys! will definately be going to Bunnings this week to get some play sand. do have any idea how many kilos i would need for a 3ft tank? And also, what's the best way to clean the tank with sand in it?

I have been playing with playsand all day today. I went and bought a 20kg bag at Bunnings for $10 and for a 30 x 60cm tank I used half the bag. I then put it in a pillowslip and rinsed and rinsed and soaked and rinsed and soaked and rinsed and rinsed and soaked. I then placed the sand in the tank, brought the hose from outside in and trickled water on top of flat plates trying not to disturb or stir the sand. Unfortunately I don't think I rinsed it for long enough. The tank is looking pretty cloudy. My axies meanwhile are in a huge plastic tub in the coolest & darkest room in the house (the toilet). I think they're happy there. Will put them back in their new sandy beach home as soon as the fog has lifted.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think I rinsed it for long enough. The tank is looking pretty cloudy.

I wouldn't worry about it. No matter how much you rinse the sand, your tank will always be cloudy for a few days after first adding the sand. I would also advise against using the filter for the first few days as well to prevent any damage to the motor.

Blaze

Reaction score
I got this sand and I put it in a rubber tub (we have horses so like a horse feed bucket we havn't used) and got the outside hose and blasted it so all the sand was churned up, took the hose out wait 10secs for the sand to settle then poured the water out, the sand stays in there well. I did this until it ran clear which took 17 gos. I put it in the tank which didn't mix up to muchn when I poured the water straight in and when I got my filter it cleared up within a day =]

Blaze

Reaction score
Just a single bag. I used like a bit over a quarter of it, but my tank isn't as large hehe. But OMG how heavy was the bag of sand -_-"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1