Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need some help with my newts

stranger23

Reaction score
Hi, i have just started using this site and with help of pics think i have found out what my newts are, i have 3 that were all sold to me as paddle tails but are clearly not as they have bumpy skin i think they are either P. chinensis or P. hongkongensis and i wish to know what sex they all our and if we could possible breed them, could someone tell me how to upload some pics so i can find out what they are and the best way to keep them, i got the first newt from a tropical fish shop and was given no information on it at all, so i tried finding some on the net without much luck, its very confusing to a beginner, my first newt has lived happily in a 4ft tank with a range of tropical fish until the last week or so when we brought home 2 more newts that are kept in a tank across the room, my first newt (called ned the newt my our child) has since become very aggressive to everything in the tank and has killed 2/3 fish but not eaten them! it has even been picking on things it cant even hope to swallow such as silver tip sharks and even my catfish, it has also shed its skin twice in the last week which in the 4 months we have had it ive only seen it do once before can anyone tell me why ned would start behaving in this way? my partner thinks it has something to do with getting the other newts? we have taken ned out of the 4ft tank and set up his own 1ft tank with pebbles, fake plants and his places to hide from the other tank and a fluval plus1 filter to stop any more harm coming to the fish ned lived with before, was this the right thing to do? also ive noticed on the sides of ned there is little white spot like things that are tiny is this normal? sorry for the long post i just have so many questions

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There´s a sticky in the photo section that explains how to upload pictures.
Please use adequate punctuation and capitalization...as a non-native english speaker i found your post very hard to read.
Mixing with fish is broadly unrecomended because of several issues. You can read about that in the sticky in this section.
When you upload the pictures we will help you identify them no problem ;)
By the way, welcome to the forum.

stranger23

Reaction score
sorry im not very good with grammar or punctuation and im using the red squiggly lines to get the correct spelling, could you please tell me how to get to the thread list as i found it the first time by chance and have just been refreshing the page of my post until i got a reply. Thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1