Question on Java Moss

Aimee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy everyone :happy:

I have absolutely zero experience in dealing with live plants, but today an employee at the local petshop I frequent offered to give me a clump of some of his java moss.

I've heard that java moss can survive in low-lit environments...but exactly how low? My tank has no flourescent lighting whatsoever but does get some indirect sunlight. Is this enough?

Also, is there any way of "quarantining" a plant or making sure it is pest/disease free? I don't just want to plop a plant that I got from a total stranger into my little one's tank. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

The lighting requirements vary considerably for java moss, what you have going will be fine.

All live plants should be quarantined at minimum a week. I usually wait two after treating the plants with a supersaturated solution of lime and water. Lime however, is a dangerous alkaline substance that folks should not mess with unless they no what they are doing as it causes very painful caustic burns. The safe alternative (and cheap!) is alum, the stuff used to make pickles.

Make a supersaturated solution of alum and tap water by boiling the water and adding alum to it until no more will dissolve. Let the supersaturated solution cool over night. Soak your new plants in this for about an hour. The high pH of this solution will kill any ride alongs including snails and their eggs. Then rinse off your plants and quarentine them for at least a week, checking daily for the presence of snails and other undesirables. If you see any, retreat the plants with the solution and wait another week.

If the plants are critter free, rinse them well and add them to your tank!

Thanks SludgeMunkey!

Do you know where I can get some of this alum? I just did a search and didn't really see any info as to where I can get a hold of some.

Thank you again for your quick advice :happy:

Alum can be purchased very inexpensively at any grocery store in the "Spices" section of the baking aisle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back