Mycosis...?

pezzatos

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Display Name
Pezzatos
I saw salamanders in captivity that becomed dark also on the yellow spots and died in a few weeks even feeding normally and going across the terrarium as if they feel fine.
Their skin appeared dry even if they were in the water or in wet places.
What kind of pathology is it? And how to take control of this thing?
Thank you

What species??
The sort of problem you describe sounds like a skin infection caused by inadequate housing, most probably humidity or temperature.

I had this problem with one of mine. Mine got it from too much heat. I just kept it humid and after 2 weeks it shedded its skin and its color is back to normal. GIve it some time and dont stress them out. If your sal is still eating you shouldnt have much to worry about as long as you cool them down and keep it humid.

The specie is Salamandra salamandra. Housed in a terrarium with very wet substrate.

Could this thing be caused by a protozoos overload?

I think it´s most probably caused by the very wet substrate. They need a moist substrate, not a wet one. Wet conditions can cause this kind of problems.
Change the conditions to suit them, and create a gradient of humidity. That´s always good, because that allows them to choose what suits them better.
I have to say it or else i´ll explode....have you checked if they are legal to keep??

Wonderfull: the salamander has changed skin (I don't know how to say it in english...sorry!) and returned in good healt after two days pasted in a fauna box with 1,5 cm of water!!!
Monkeyfrogman was right!!!
Don't worry Azhael, they are legal with born in captivity certificate.

Wonderfull: the salamander has changed skin (I don't know how to say it in english...sorry!) and returned in good healt after two days pasted in a fauna box with 1,5 cm of water!!!
Monkeyfrogman was right!!!
Don't worry Azhael, they are legal with born in captivity certificate.

glad I could help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back