Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping cool

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
hey guys, i recently bought 3 Chinese Firebelly Newts (another aquaria-related lifelong addiction? right next to Polypterus and Catfish)
unfortunately, my water temp is up to about 76 dF, which i have heard is too high.

im located in new york, so once winter hits, hopefully the temp will regulate itelf, but until then, i have to keep it low.
it was suggested to me in the chatroom that i move them to my basement... problem is, i am rarely down there, and i wouldnt be able to give the newts the attention they need, and i wouldnt be able to watch them and make sure they are eating, make sure they are healthy, or generally observe and enjoy them. i would invest in a chiller, but they are a lot of money, and very few places sell them.

so, what should i do?

one of my friends suggested i point a little personal fan at the water surface, which i will be able to try once i buy a screen top. before i had the newts, i pointed the fan at the surface and the temo stayed around 73dF...
help please :confused:
-AJ

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
Although, i might add, due to my low water level in the Newt tank, the upper half of the stick-on thermometer is not over a part of the tank that has any water in it...
so im not sure how accurate the readings are...
id go add new water to the Newts' tank but unfortunately we just got a new dog and he has to go to sleep...LOL

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Stick on thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Now assuming it is in fact correct, you have a couple of options here. One could be doing about a 20% water change with cooler water. Option #2 is too add frozen water bottles to the tank. Then of course there is the fan idea which you mentioned. For more options you can have a read through this article on Aquarium Cooling Methods.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a basement, I would suggest that you seriously reconsider this option. The newts need to be cool much more than they need your attention. I realize that there's the enjoyment factor, but it would just be for a month or two until the weather cools down, right? If newts are going to another lifelong addiction, believe me, you'll learn to love your basement;)

Aside from that, I'd recommend getting a floating thermometer, a screen lid, and a fan. It will make a big difference. However, if the newts are spending a significant amount of time out of the water, you should not use the fan, as it will dry out their skin.

Be sure everything with the screen lid is escape-proof:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far guys.
the tank dropped to at least 70 overnight and the glass misted up. today i will buy a screen top to try the fan idea and i guess ill get an internal thermometer.

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
update: like magic, the temp is at 68 dF from being shielded by the desk shelf. and my Mosquitofish fry enjoy a temperature increase by going from where the Newts are now to where they were too warm :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1