Illness/Sickness: Sick Axy!! Expert Help Needed!!

lindsey1989

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a beginner Axy keeper!
im finding it enjoyable
However he has sum fungus on him! Ive salt bathed him twice (once 2day and the day before)
he also seems stressed. So ive out him in the fridge.
How long do i keep him in there for? (i know i have to do water changes ECT) do i offer him food? If so what is best? And do im guessing i should continue with the salt baths? :confused:

Well done, you're doing all the right things. Keep up with the salt baths twice a day while he's still got the fungus, reduce to once a day when it's nearly gone. Salt bath for another couple of days after the fungus has gone just to make sure you've got it all. I would fridge him for at least a couple more days after you finish the salt baths.

You also need to think about why your axie got the fungus in the first place. It is always a sign of something not quite right with your axolotl or its environment.

You need to consider the water temperature, water chemistry, diet, other stress factors, injury. Any of these things could cause your axie to seccumb to a fungus.

You can try feeding your axie earthworms while in the fridge, but he may not eat, this is nothing to worry about though.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back