Axie looks stressed out; what could be wrong?

SmartBartje

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
A few days ago my axies gills curled up, so I'm guessing it's VERY stressed (since it's not just a lil bit forward, but really curly; see the photo).

What could be wrong? I've got a weak filter, so there's little streaming in the water. Temperature is low. The water quality is good and even though he looks stressed, he eats really well. I don't know what could be wrong... He does have enough hiding places so I'm guessing that couldn't be it. He is about 10cm's now..

Attachments

• P2030113.jpg
    P2030113.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 235
Sometimes i think it may just happen. Try more frequent water changes possibly. Sometimes mine will look stressed one minute and look fine the next.

I think youngsters tend to curl their gills forward a lot anyway (just cos they can!) also some axies seem to hold their gills more forward naturally, I know mine do.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I was kinda stressed out myself because of this, so maybe I'm more stressed then my axie lol.

Anyway, yesterday right after my post I rearranged my tank, it's a bit more empty but with a better hiding spot. At first he seemed even more stressed (who wouldn't) but after I came home from work today it seemed to like it. No more curly gills (just a lil bit forward) and eats happily. I'm so relieved! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back