Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ideal Temp for Tank?

benh

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just got my Axolotl yesterday :happy: (will post pictures soon!!).
My room gets quite a bit of sun during the day, but it's far from sweltering (I'm in England, so no danger of extreme temperatures). I've tried to make sure the tanks not in direct sunlight - the highest temp I've clocked on the thermometer is around 24 C.
Just wondered what's the highest/lowest temp these guys can handle without there being any danger?

Cheers :proud:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axies can tolerate cold a lot better than heat. Although there have been reports of axies living in ponds that are frozen over, i would go with 5 degree celsius as a safe lower limit. From 4 degree celsius and below, tissue and cell injury can occur.

Axies get very susceptible to illness and stress when exposed to high temperatures. The upper limit of 'acceptable' is 20 degree celsius. Anything above that is very likely to be stressful to the axie and predispose them to secondary infections.

The best temperature range is between 16-18 degree celsius. My tanks are always between this range.

benh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Rayson!

Can someone in the UK let me know how often they have to cool their tank? I thought mine would be fine kept at room temperature - as long as I keep an eye on those rare sunny days we get, and have a desk fan at the ready. I'll just have to find the right balance between letting my plants get enough light, whilst not making my lil fella too warm.

Berrie

Reaction score
I just changed from a glass tank cover to a mesh one, and the general temperature of the tank has dropped 2-3 degrees celcius :)

blabberwort

Reaction score
To keep the temp down in our tank we have a homemade mesh cover, a fan and use bottles of ice daily. It's variable how often we add the bottles but i would say at least 3 times a day. We've yet to find a day where we havent had to do this as otherwise the temperature would be to high.

We have found that it's no bother though, it's a habit we have got into. check temp, get a bottle, check temp. get a bottle etc etc. The ideal would be a cooler but to be honest theyre far to expensive to consider for us at the moment :eek:

I would suggest if you intend to use bottles of ice that you have at least 3 on the go, as sometimes they dont always ice back up intime of needing them if you only have a couple :happy:

crazyspotty

Reaction score
I just changed from a glass tank cover to a mesh one, and the general temperature of the tank has dropped 2-3 degrees celcius :)

I've been thinking about doing something like this to lower my tanks temperature a bit too, how did u go about it? did u just make the mesh according to the size of your tank??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1