Question: How long can a red eft go....

bioteacher

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long can a very tiny (about an inch long) red eft go without eating? I'm going to pick up some pinhead crickets tomorrow and see how successful he is at catching those (with the back legs removed) but he hasn't eaten anything in the three days I've had him. I put pillbugs in his terrarium , and I tried a freeze dried mini shrimp tied to a string. But no go. He won't eat. Now I'm really worried.

I watched him "hunt" earlier today. he followed a pill bug for a bit and then gave up. So he's interested, it seems. But still, he hasn't eaten

I'm sorry to say, but Red Efts are very needy as far as food goes. They need to eat daily, and "good" meals. I suggest using chopped tips of garden worms (appropriately sized), small slugs and if you are ($) inclined small Pheonix worms. All should be slow enough to allow capture and healthy enough to sustain!
My eft is approx. -------------------------.
He loves the worm tips and also picks whiteworms off when I offer them. Keep us posted and good luck!

P.s. How small is he? Notos can morph VERY small....

-jbherpin-

Last edited:
Do you have a blackworm supplier near you? I've had the most success with getting a finicky noto to eat them from a small dish or from the ends of tweezers.

Not sure why, but one of the three will start refusing chopped earthworms for a while and want blackworms exclusively. But then he will start eating the chopped earthworms again after about 4-5 feedings along with the other two.

And do not forget the flightless Drosophila melanogaster! Easy to culture and for the little ones to eat!

I have some inch long efts and have had luck with having a dish with about 1/8 inch of water with whiteworms in it and whiteworms in the soil. I have not witnessed my shy efts eat but I check up on them everyday and they keep their little chubby bellies up. They do show interest when they see the whiteworms. Also three of the six have now been eating thawed frozen bloodworms on a thin cobab stick. It took some time to convice them to eat them by wiggling them.

We have had a red eft since early July. Every day, I catch him a small earth worm, and now he prefers hand feeding. Will he hibernate? Will he need to eat during hibernation? He lives in a large glass bowl that we’ve filled with moss, bark, and leaf debris - he seems fine there, but perhaps that’s not ideal? Any advice would be most appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back