Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red eft feeding problems

bioteacher

Reaction score
How long can a very tiny (about an inch long) red eft go without eating? I'm going to pick up some pinhead crickets tomorrow and see how successful he is at catching those (with the back legs removed) but he hasn't eaten anything in the three days I've had him. I put pillbugs in his terrarium , and I tried a freeze dried mini shrimp tied to a string. But no go. He won't eat. Now I'm really worried.

I watched him "hunt" earlier today. he followed a pill bug for a bit and then gave up. So he's interested, it seems. But still, he hasn't eaten

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More important is how thin/ emaciated he is. If he's new, relax and give him some time to adjust. He could go for a couple of weeks and still survive.

firesalamander

Reaction score
I had this problem with my baby fire sals. Try not to stress him out. Just wait a day or two then try it again. If he can fit small pieces of worms in his mouth than try those. They have good nutrients for him as he grows.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What Dawn said.
How big is it? did you collect it? This species is considered hard to raise because the juveniles are tiny, picky and they have a long eft stage. They are not a good choice for a beginner at all. WC specimens appear to do poorly in captivity too.
Don´t panic and give the fella some time. Provide good housing, and avoid stressing it (keeping it in a shady place is a good idea). Once it settles in you can try to feed it with tweezers or justlet him catch its food. Earthworms are excelent, but you may have a better feeding response if you get your hands on some small waxworms.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Didn't we already respond to this? http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64249 I think you should at least post a reply before you reintroduce the exact same thread... Efts ARE finicky, and hard to raise-at best-and are, agreed, not a begginer animal. I think a few weeks is stretching it for an animal that eats daily in the wild and will take virtually all that is offered if all is right with health/habitat/etc. No dissrepect, but I think even a week without food is very risky to the health and long-term success.

-jbherpin-

slowfoot

Reaction score
If you have access to termites, I've had great success with those - efts really respond well to them because they're soft, white and slow. Termites can be found pretty much anywhere in rotting logs, though you might have to hunt around to find a nest. I usually go out termite hunting with a hammer and bunch of ziploc bags to collect them.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Listen up. I collected an eastern red spotted newt. I had the same problem. I tried feeding it small mealworms though. I eventually tried regular earthworms and he loved them. I still feed him them untill the winter where i get 'spikes" form bait shops. I hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!