Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do axolotls eyes grow back?

Reaction score
So I saw an axxie at a fish store with one eye. Would it regenerate or not? The wound looked semi-healed, so I couldn't really tell. Thanks

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it will but the functionality it regains is variable. Regeneration is not a perfect process and because the eye is such a delicate organ, any 'flaw' in regeneration could impact on sight.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, hence the variability in regeneration to functionality. In most instances, the globe will reform such that aesthetically to the naked eye, it looks fine. However, the funtionality remains another question.

To say that axies rarely regenerate eyes to full recovery is quite generalising though. It depends on many variables. The extent of injury, any concurrent infection, vascularisation, the anatomical area of the eye damaged and so forth. With a stromal ulceration for eg. where deeper structures such as the lens, choriod, optic nerves are spared and only the corneal surface is affected, the chances of recovery to functionality is much higher despite the wound looking terrible 'exteriorally'. Only a full fundus examination of the damage to deeper structures can a more accurate prognosis be given.

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
Is it absolutely certain it is missing? I hatched several leucistic eggs earlier this year, & they are rather inbred & I have several 'oddities'. A couple have one black & one 'hidden' or simply very pale (like an albino) eye. My adult golden has eyes which to the passing observer might be thought to be missing - certainly almost impossible to make out when he was smaller, but they work just fine!

Heather & Sparkle

hannahll

Reaction score
Mine has one that looks almost non-existent.. is it possible he's missing an eye?

Attachments

• IMAG0351.jpg
    IMAG0351.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 1,395

AxieMama

Reaction score
Off topic..... Rayson, your scuttle bug gave me a start! I actually tried to brush it off my screen lol :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!