Photo: Healthy?

Gail

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it ok to make multiple posts on different subjects? Sorry if its not, I didn't think to post this in the thread I just made about eyesight, anyways...

This is my first time keeping tigers and I'm wondering if my guy/gal looks healthy? I had raised 2 from larvae but one starved its self to death and the other one stayed buried all summer, only to come up a couple weeks ago. Now it wants to eat non stop but I don't want him to get fat.

Oh and if anyone can tell me what kind of tiger I have and sex, I'd be grateful. He's around 8" and I'm hoping the yellows will get brighter with age, he's only been in adult form for 2 month or so.

100_2323.jpg

Hi Gail,

She looks like a healthy eastern tiger salamander to me. Her appetite increase is normal due to the fact she's been buried all summer,but don't give into it otherwise she will get fat. Try feeding every other day and only as much as she will eat in 15 minutes.
Also to answer the question in your other thread, tigers are not notoriously known for having good eyesight, if it wriggles close by to them it's food and they will try to eat it. I feed mine using feeding tongs and it usually takes a few tries for them to successfully grab the worm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad she looks good and I'll be careful with the feedings. A girl huh? I guess Ralph isn't such a good name then LOL.

thats a really cool looking salamander.... its eyes are funny looking too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back