Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

QUESTION! Water plant for the top of my axie tank

asprine

Reaction score
Hola a todos
Hope everyone's well. Today i bought some plants for my axie's tank, this one is native to their actual natural environment in xochimilco so I'm sure it will go well with them, the question is. ¿How do I clean the plant so I can safely move it to my axies tank? I wanna avoid all kinds of parasites, bacteria and snails that might be in it. I'd like to know as soon as possible before the plant dies or somethinghehe.

Cheers everyone and happy Mexican Independence Day!

BTW. Here's a photo of the plant, it's called lirio

2694797819_fb6cd04898.jpg

If you can't see it just type "Lirio acuatico Xochimilco" on google

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can try rinsing and washing the plants under a diluted potassium permaganate solution. Thereafter rinse extensively and quarantine your plants for about a month.

oceanblue

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong in using this plant in your tank but it looks to me like a non-native Eichhornia crassipes.

The english name is water hyacynth and it is an amazon native which is regarded as an ecological disaster in many water systems around the world. Are you sure it is a native?

Abrahm

Reaction score
You can try rinsing and washing the plants under a diluted potassium permaganate solution. Thereafter rinse extensively and quarantine your plants for about a month.

It should be noted that potassium permangante is a powerful oxidizer and will stain pretty much any clothing or skin it contacts brown. Take care when you work with this chemical. Another suggested solution is to dunk the plant in a 10% bleach solution for 5-10 minutes. All dirt and other debris should be rinsed from the plant first as this inactivates the bleach. This method can be fatal to plants.

If this is water hyacinth as oceanblue suggested I wouldn't recommend it for your aquarium. Water hyacinth is a plant that needs extremely intense lighting and abundant nutrients and will often die due to lacking these two necessities.

mitcg

Reaction score
Greetings,

First off, Happy Independence Day week.
Now for the plant shown, i had that plant myself, it needs alot of light something Axolotls are not big fans of. I had about 5 of those, they all died.

Good luck.

Celeste

Reaction score
Hi Mario!!

Actually potassium permanganate is sold in aquariums.
I had this plant too, had it in a bucket after using potassium permanganate , and even using that I found later some "sanguijuelas" (This little worm that stick to the skin and suck the blood, dont know the name in english), so be very carefull.
Also you have to be carefull because if this plant gets well in your tank, it reproduces fast and can dicrease the movement on your waters sourface.

Happy Independence Day!!!

asprine

Reaction score
thank you all for your nice replies, i think i wont put it in, i'll have it as a pet plant

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1