Hello from me and Archie

wemily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

On Sunday we brought home our new family member, his name is Archie. he seems quite happy in his new home, although he did climb half way up the heater in his tank before falling head first to the ground! tehe silly thing!

We have given him two butterfly plecos for his tank. I don't think he will manage to eat them.. although they may grow up in fear, one hasn't come out from a gap behind the filler poor thing :(

i hope he will be v happy with us, i'm looking forward to feeding him lots of different things :happy:

Wemily and Archie

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 19.58.40.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 19.58.40.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 19.59.03.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 19.59.03.png
    240.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 19.59.12.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-14 at 19.59.12.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 101
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you shouldn't keep your axie with plecos, they are not good tank mates. (I can't remember if it's because this type of fish have spines which would damage the axie if swallowed or if it's because they could 'latch' onto your axie and damage the skin)

The heater you mentioned is a big no-no too, axies like really cool water, below 20 degrees ideal.

Finally the gravel/stones you have in your tank look a swallowable size, I would recommend removing them and going with either childrens play sand or a bare- bottomed tank. Also these options are much easier to keep clean.

If you look around the forum and visit axolotl.org you will find a lot of information about taking care of your new friend.

Welcome to the forum, to you and Archie!

our tank is 18 degrees, and the cut of temp for the heater is 20, so it wont get to hot. but the house will start getting cold in the nite soon so we figured it would be fine leaving it in.

i also read that anything smaller then 1.5 was as a prob, our pebbs are bigger than that so i was hopping they would be alright....

i will look into the pleco tho :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back