Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Floating?

kevinfavier

Reaction score
Hello Caudata.org visitors,

My Axolotl is showing some strange behaviour since last saturdaynight. After i cleaned the tank i gave him something to eat(rainworm) and he was just fine. Later that night he began to float and tried really hard to reach down to the bottom. I read on the Internet that it could be stress that's giving him gas wich causes him to float. I leveld down the water so he could touch the bottom wih his little paws. It has been a few days now and he acts normal except that his behind is still floating. He does eat, the water is fine and he just did a poo ;-). Does anyone know how long this can take? Or what else I can do to help him?

Tnx!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Check your water parameters and temperature. High temperature or poor water quality are the most common causes of floating axies.

What are rainworms? (Do you mean earthworms?)

Floating with the hind quarters up could indicate a constipation problem. If your axie has recently did a poo, the floating should resolve. If floating persists, you may consider fridging the axie in a tub.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!