Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Guppies with My Axolotls???

chriscatcher14

Reaction score
I have seen and even had Guppies with my axolotls before but wanted to gauge what this community thought of the idea. I am considering getting guppies and re-introducing them to the tank. I understand that the axolotls eat them and that is one reason to have them in the tank...another food source. I also believe they are aesthetically pleasing.

let me know what you all think since this seems to be such a knowledgeable group on the axolotls.

Thank you,

Chris Sims

Toptex

Reaction score
I too have had the odd Guppy in the tank - sometimes 10 at a time, and yes, they are pretty and angel-like to watch but....they hang around in groups which is fine) but in the top corner of the tank. Unless the tank is positioned high, you cant really see them. That's my experience anyway.

chriscatcher14

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am just afraid of the disease aspect of introducing the fish. Is there any way to try and curb this possibility of introducing a harmful foreign matter into the tank of my axolotls? Quarantine, and if so for how long?

What are this communities experiences all in all with guppies and axolotls?

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the standard quarantine period is 30 days or so. That'll weed out the diseased ones, if any are sick. :)

chriscatcher14

Reaction score
I appreciate the comments. I will go do some additional research but if thirty days is adequate then I will do that as well.

ted22

Reaction score
Yeah theres lots of info about guppies on here, why dont you start up a breeding tank? only need one male and three females and your axie will have a constant supply! ive got a 60ltr on the go at the moment should get babies very soon! il just throw a few in for gomez evey now and then! as has been said already 30 days minimum quarantine for anything going into your tank so you may need to get another small tank anyway and if you have males and females within those 30days you will get babies! Ive found having a number of guppies in with my axolotl was just producing too much waste my lovely freshly vacuumed sand always looked dirty when there were 5+ guppys in there even in my big tank (hence why I moved them) also if you breed your own you know for sure that they havnt got parasites and diseases so no waiting for quarrentine!

I also found that the male guppys can get quite territorial even with an axie, they never touched gomez (they wouldnt dare get that close!) but they would behave very boisterously in front of him sometimes making him hide from them! Ultimately tho a guppy will end up in your axies belly tis just a matter of time!

Have you considered white cloud mountain minnows they are beautiful little fish so delicate looking (they also have some awesome shoaling behaviour when in a group, dont go near your axie, are quite quick so better survival rate than guppies, its awesome to watch them feed darting up to the surface one by one, and they produce very little waste especially when compared to a guppy so lots easier to keep clean (belive me it makes a huge difference!) i love em, theyre quick too gomez has managed to catch one within a week (he caught 5 guppys in one night!) so should be around for a while!

I just wish I discovered these mountain minnows before I decided to set up my guppy tank the lack of fish poo is a godsend! (dunno how easy they are to breed compared to guppys though!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!