Chiller

Gregarious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Chad
I recently bought a chiller and have a lot of different opptions as far as setting it up. I am wondering if anyone else is using one. If so what temp and monthly flucuations? I have around 16 different species and am getting overwhelemed with the potential opptions. I might have to buy another just to make a choice as to how I am going to set it up. I might set up a double pond set-up in the spare bedroom or one of my 20 gal newt tank, too much to think about. To stay focused, I will ask is anyone using a chiller and how do you have it set up and what temp are you running at?

Last edited:
I use a chiller for my axolotl tank. I don't really fluctuate, but then it's hot outside I put it 2-3 degrees (celcius) higher then normal, because if I don't the chiller keeps running the whole day, because it can't keep up. My other tanks are quite small, so a chiller would be overkill.

It's a waste they are so expensive.. they are a life saver when it's hot.

I appreciate the responce, but now I'm curious which chiller you had or have. The one I picked up is an Ecoplus brand 1/10th horse rated for a maximum of 298GPh. With a 20gal tank half full thats alot of flow. That is why I am thinking of doing a small pond set-up with a reservoir. If you run them to fast they cant chill the water. There is also an accesory that looks to me like a heater core with a 6" inch fan. It just blows cold air. My basement temp is as low as 52 deg in the winter and has hit 74 deg a couple time's this summer. Thats a bit warm for my fire sals. The chiller is digital and seems easy to use. I can give you an update after I hook it up as to how well it works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back