Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water testing, how often?

Mandakins

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I was just wondering how often I should test my Axies water? (Ammonia, Nitrate)

I don't have a test kit but the pet shop said that I could bring in a water sample any time. Is every one or two weeks enough if everything is looking good?

I have a PH test that I can do every week when I change the water.

dodgy

Reaction score
i test all my tanks once a week, 12 of em so i do my own, an API fresh water master test kit (liquid) serves my purpose easily & only £15. takes 2 mins per test, dead easy.

melfly

Reaction score
I would recommend buyin your own test kit.
As you will then know whats going on yourself and the API test kits are accurate and simple to use.

Mel

Mandakins

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'll look at buying my own test kit in a few weeks.
(Here in Australia the API master test kit costs about $70-$75.)

Manda

Reaction score
Yes, why is it that they are soo much more expensive in Australia??? Here in Perth it's $30 per test for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites (so $90!- or a kit for $80). It's not fair! :)

Love to hear the 'Just go buy a kit' comments... I'm a student .... so I think that 1 x weekly free checks at aquarium is ok for now. Especially since my parameters have been so far perfect each time. I'd rather buy better food.

That being said tho' I'm asking for the test kit for xmas. (and my family is pretty good at getting u what u want) ... so yay... will be great to be able to check at home. Really want to keep them happy!

Wishing u smooth sailing.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you have to stagger the purchases, start with the ammonia kit first. The nitrites come next. Nitrates are less important to get in terms of urgency.

melfly

Reaction score
That is expensive.
Mine was about 20 pounds.
I suppose as long as you know the pet store or whoever are testing are not just using the dipsticks and saying everything is fine - when it might not be, then you're ok. Thats what they do round here.
Mel

Mandakins

Reaction score
Hi Melfly

Yes I've watched them do the tests with little glass vials and bottles of solution.

Thank you :D

blackdog

Reaction score
Dont even need to go to ebay - Aquarium Supermarket - API Freshwater Master Test Kit - 800 tests!

Love to hear the 'Just go buy a kit' comments... I'm a student ....

I love to hear the "I'm a student" excuse to not have the equipment you need to look after your animals properly.

To me it's either have what you need before you committ to the responsibility, or wait until you do.

Anyways, to get a kit from the link above should only be about $50.

how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So, what could you do to save $2 per day?

Drink a glass of water instead of a can of coke with lunch?
Get up early and ride to the train instead of the bus?
Drink 1 water for every beer at the night club?
Take a sandwich from home instead of buying it at the school cafe?
Keep using your old runners for one more month before buying a new pair?

I know, you are going to tell me how frugal you are and how you do all those things already - but it's not the point i'm making. i'm saying if you really want something, you'll make it happen.

Save $2 a day and you'll have your kit in less than a month.

Bren

yellowpebble

Reaction score
I agree to an extent but when I was a student I was living off $50 a week. Its not that easy. Often they don’t even have 2 bucks to spare. She is getting it done once a week, i think that’s enough. Everyone raises animals in different ways and being a student and not having the money for a test kit isn't lacking in responsibility, you just find ways around it, like the pet store method.

I'm not saying OP shouldn't buy one if they could.

blackdog

Reaction score
Ha ha - no i hadn't noticed that

i love a good zombie post (one that keeps rising from the dead...)

B

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1