Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding earthworms to fire bellied newts

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I caught some earth worms and 2 night crawlers yesterday. I was just wondering how would feed them to my Newts.

pete

Reaction score
Check out this link. I wouldn't be too worried about your wild caught earthworms. Just try to use worms that haven't been exposed to pesticides or fertilizers.

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
That helps a little bit, but i have 8 newts. That would take a long time to feed them.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
That helps a little bit, but i have 8 newts. That would take a long time to feed them.

Well, considering they only need to be feed 3 or 4 times per week, is it really such a big deal to take 5 minutes to chop up the worms and 20-ish to feed them? That's really the only way that you are going to feed a medium to large sized worm (particularly nightcrawlers) to a small newt.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know someone who has raised hundreds of juvenile newts using the method shown (chopped worm bits offered on a toothpick). Some things in life are worth the tedium and patience required!

End

Reaction score
i have used and still using mainly earthworms for juvies and adults newts ( chopped offered with toothpick) this sure take time and patience ( not every newt will accept them at first) but in my opinion is the best diet you can offer.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I have had luck wiggling thawed frozen bloodworms on a cabob stick for my little noto morphs. It took some time for some to eat them(about 1 week), but they all eventually did. I will introduce chopped earthworms slowly later once they get bigger.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a generalization (not always true), a newt can usually eat a whole worm that is the length of the newt or shorter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!