Fire Salamanders arriving tomorrow!

snussmak

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Alexander
AT LAST! After more than ten years of searching I found a group of fire salamanders for sale in a pet store! Boy, am I glad! It has been my favourite salamander ever since I first heard about salamanders (when I was ~4 years) and when my parents decided I was old enough (8-9) to get an animal the fire salamander was my first and obvious choice (besides a dog which was out of question then, but, hey we have two now!).
Sadly they were nowhere to be found, because of the strict laws. Guess how devestated I was back then, my favourite animal was nowhere to be found so I aquired a chinese fire-belly and started to read everything I could find about fire salamanders. Now over a decade later, when my interests and priorities have changed I happened by accident to visit a pet store website and guess what? 3 Fire salamanders for sale! So I'm heading to the shop tomorrow.

So, now it's time to fulfill a dream long gone, to get a fire salamander!
I've got all the knowledge and experience in order to keep these fascinating animals (10+ years with numerous species, aquatic, terrestrial and aquaterrestrial) so they will be kept after. I've got some nice plans for a stunning vivaria (dimensions 100cmx50cmx65cm) which will house 1, 2 or 3 fire salamanders.

I will upload some pics as soon as I can. Best regards!

so pleased for you and can't wait to see the pictures :happy:

Cool! I know the feeling, having searched for a decade or more for certain species of fish for my aquariums.

Do you know if they came via a wholesaler to the pet store or if they were a trade-in from a customer? (wondering if any pet store in Sweden can get hold of them now since almost all of them get their animals via the same wholesalers)

Good luck, hope they are in fine condition when you get them.

Awesome, I am happy for you!
So I guess that means you wont be interested in the larvae I e-mailed you about. May I ask at which pet store you found them? Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers, Vide

Update: I got the last one! A big, fat and happy chap. He(? almost certain he is a he) measures about 6-7" and seems to like his new environment. I haven't fed him yet, I'll let him get used to his new environment (transport and new environment can be stressful) and I'll start to feed him tomorrow.
I haven't got the time to decorate the terraria the way I want, so at the moment, he has a couple of hiding places, a bowl of water and moist soil as substrate. I'll later on add moss, vegetation and pieces of bark. Looking forward to the outcome.

Pics will be up soon!

Awesome, I am happy for you!
So I guess that means you wont be interested in the larvae I e-mailed you about. May I ask at which pet store you found them? Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers, Vide

Bromma akvariebutik

Here are the pics, as promised. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this one a male, since the swollen cloaca?

Attachments

• salamander1.jpg
    salamander1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,956
  • salamander2.jpg
    salamander2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 7,939
  • salamander3.jpg
    salamander3.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 6,977
My bet is Salamandra salamandra salamandra.
I´m a bit sad that being so commonly bred in captivity you had to resort to pet-shop animals...:(

My bet is Salamandra salamandra salamandra.
I´m a bit sad that being so commonly bred in captivity you had to resort to pet-shop animals...:(

Well, what should I do then? They are almost impossible to find in Sweden and what do you think would be better for the salamander, live in a stressful place like a pet store where they are only fed with crickets or at my house where I have more than ten years of experience in keeping salamanders and newts? Besides, don't be so sure that they are WC.

Please don´t take it as a personal attack because it definitely wasn´t meant to be.
I´m pretty sure they are WC....sadly S.s.salamandra adults are collected and imported from the Ukraine.
I stand by what i said....it´s sad that a species that is SO commonly bred in captivity in europe is still collected from the wild to satisfy the pet-shop demand. I understand that maybe they are very difficult to find in your country, but you certainly could have bought some from one of the many many european breeders.
Anyway, i´m sure you´ll take great care of them, and sure they are far better with you than in the pet-shop....the sad part is that they will be replaced by some newly caught ones shortly....

Please don´t take it as a personal attack because it definitely wasn´t meant to be.
I´m pretty sure they are WC....sadly S.s.salamandra adults are collected and imported from the Ukraine.
I stand by what i said....it´s sad that a species that is SO commonly bred in captivity in europe is still collected from the wild to satisfy the pet-shop demand. I understand that maybe they are very difficult to find in your country, but you certainly could have bought some from one of the many many european breeders.
Anyway, i´m sure you´ll take great care of them, and sure they are far better with you than in the pet-shop....the sad part is that they will be replaced by some newly caught ones shortly....

Yes, I totally agree, but I wouldn't be so sure about the replacing. See, it took me over 10 years to find fire salamanders in a pet store. That's mainly because there's almost no demand for salamanders here in sweden, besides from the fire bellies and an occasional ribbed newt.

Here's some good news, It seems to have settled down and it seems like he/she likes his/her new environment and ate a worm just recently. As soon as I get time, I'll drop by a plant store and buy some nice plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back