Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too much ammonia

jctkc

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am having problems with my Axies in the tank. They produce too much ammonia which causes me to change their tank water constantly. I know that isn't good, but neither keeping them in ammonia. I have tried ammonia reducers and ammo lock, but it just doesn't seem to help. Would adding plants help?

Thank you
Justin

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Did you cycle your tank? You need bacteria in your tank that change ammonia into nitrite, and then nitrite into nitrate (which is what the plants would help with). And you would have those bacteria by cycling your tank. (I guess plants would give the bacteria surface area to live on but it wouldn't be a direct help, that I know of.)
I haven't tried them myself and so have no experience, but I don't think those "ammonia reducers" are actually very good.

Aimee

Reaction score
Also, how large is your tank and how many animals are you keeping in it?

Cheers

CaveDweller

Reaction score
Thank you, that was a very valuable source for me. I am looking into owning an axolotl and cycling is VERY necessay!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!