Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander HElp

bbgirl4life3106

Reaction score
HEllo everyone, I got my first tiger salamnder about 3 days ago, she seems very healthy, and she is a great eater, but she is dry, I have a water dish in her tank, and i mist her tank a few times a day, and her eco earth is damp, but she remains dry, is this normal for tiger salamders, my friends always spends time in his water dish, but my girl doesn';t seem to want to be in hers. any suggestions or is this normal? she also doesn't move around a whole lot ocassionlay once in a while she does.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You will find Tiger Salamanders are able to handle a dryer enviroment than most. It is important to have a high humidity while still having plenty of air fow. If your tank has eco soil that is about 3 inches deep and moist to the touch with a screen lid you have succeeded. You should have a few pieces of bark that are longer than you salamander for her to hide under. Your soil should never be wet enough to squeeze water from when you are holding a handful. I don't even keep a water bowl in my tanks. When I did my salamander would be found soaking in its bowl for months at a time and then suddenly stop for a few months. So basicly you salamander will choose for its self.
I have found that it is my males that like to soak by the way. And if your Tiger has just morphed which it probally just has, since you just got it. You can't be sure of the sex for about 6 months to a year. I just had a so called female that I got 6 months ago awake after two months of aestivation as a male. Surprise Surpise!

bbgirl4life3106

Reaction score
Hi bill, thanks for the info that helped soo much, i bought my tiger this past weekend, the lady i bought her from had sexed her a while back when i started emaling her about 6 weeks ago and is def a girl and said that she changed from her aqutic stage earlier this year.Thanks again for the help, i now know my friends is a male because he's always in his water dish, and I no longer have to be worried about my little princess lol.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Well I wanted to say that I find my males in the water bowl most of the time but Im sure females will soak also. You will know its a male if its Cloaca swells. If it doesn't happen in a few months you will know you have a female for sure. The Cloaca is a chamber into which the digestive, urinary, and reproductive systems empty, opening to the outside through the anus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1