Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl on Rice

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Supposedly grilled axolotl is very tasty.

axygirl20

Reaction score
I read in a book (axolotls by P.W.Scott) that in mexican and asian cultures, they are steamed/fried, then put into a tomato and chilli based sauce. They also have medicinal uses. Not that i would ever imagion eating a axolotl, i freaked enough when in the jungle of borneo and offered frog!

suiean

Reaction score
A youtube video of tempura axolotl......:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeDb0M7JS-M&feature=player_embedded

6d9b1e72.jpg
806c50da.jpg

TOMODELL

Reaction score
now, if i had seen one of these live i wouldnt even eat it if i was alone n the wild, what do you do with it just eat it like fish?

snussmak

Reaction score
Remember that Hindus are disgusted that we eat cow so don't go too hypocritical now.
I don't see any problem since they are Captive Bred, it's no weirder than captive breeding salmons.
Give me one good reason why it's ok to eat cb fish but not cb caudatas?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The youtube video was interesting. What i find most unusual was that the demure lady host actually chomped down on the tempura axie not knowing what it was. Despite her first initial shock, she went back for seconds with the wrap/kebab/burrito, licking her lips while commenting on how it goes well with tomato sauce.

The allure of the deep fried axie. Irresistible it seems.

Starcraft

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is... I believe the Aztecs would eat axolotls as well... Nobody eats them in Mexico I don't believe..

evut

Reaction score
I stopped eating meat after I got my pet tortoise.
I wonder how many people become vegetarians because of their pets...?

evut

Reaction score
I know...it's not the idea of eating meat itself. I was just thinking that the farm animals have a life I wouldn't want my pets to have. So I suppose if you catch something and eat it it's fine :) Though now that I also have newts I found the pictures of a cooked axolotl too much to look at...

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
" I'll have El Ajolote y arroz with a side order of dolphin pate and the seaturtle lambic."

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with eating CB axolotl. Not that I would cook my critters up!
In my travels I have eaten everything from dog to iguana, and quite a few things I have no clue what they were. It is the beauty of being an omnivore. You really can eat just about anything.

In Mexico in particular, axolotl is still eaten to this day. Axolotl liver is a delicacy often used as a holistic remedy.

A

achiinto

Well, my main idea I don't like about this is that it is so difficult for me to find an axolotl in Canada, and then over there in Japan they are eating by the number of thousands.

I do eat bull frog occasionally. Anyhow, eating CB axolotl might possibly be beneficial to the wild stock, since this ensure an other good reason to keep this species alive in captive... at least. Perhaps one day people will start eating captive breed Panda and Tiger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1