Lighting

fuzzy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Karen E
Does anyone use those blueish bulbs from the pet store? I'm just curious, as a kid we used them for our fish tank and they made the tank look beautiful. Right now I'm using the "standard" white lighting in the tank and don't want to deviate from that if that's what's best for newts.

If you are not referring to black lights, perhaps blue tint aquarium lights. These are usually suggested for marine aquaria, but I suspect due to better penetration by shorter wavelengths blue has.y (Not a saltwater keeper,me.).

I do know they have a higher light output than the standard aquarium bulbs. Brighter light is not necessarily a good idea for axies. Axolotls like it dark. With bright lighting you need to provide many deep dark hides or they can become stressed causing other more serious health issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back