Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Do Newt Skin Poisons Diffuse into Water? (Frog died mysteriously)

TLaw

Reaction score
I know that it is generally considered not a good idea, but I did some species mixing. I have had two CFB newts for about 9 months, an apple snails and an infestation of tiny pond snails that came from a plant in my 10 gallon tank. Anyway, I thought it would be cool to add an african dwarf frog, despite the recommendations against mixing species. For 3 weeks everything seemed fine, the frog and the newts generally got along, I never saw them fighting, the newts would eat first, then the frog would go in when they were done, the frog seemed fine, the newts have been fine, everything seemed to be going well.

However, suddenly, the other day I was going to feed them, and I found the frog was dead. Now I'm not sure what killed him. He wasn't showing any signs of illness at all, no bloating, no discoloration or anything. Even after he died, the only thing abnormal was that he was lying upside down, not moving and his eyes had clouded over. Now my only theories are that despite looking fine he was sick; that maybe he ate a pond snail and choked; or that over time the newts emitted enough toxins from there skin that it built up to high enough level to suddenly kill my frog. Is that what might have happened, does the water build up poison levels? Or do newts only release their toxin when something is touching them or bothering them?

What do you guys think was the most probable cause of death for my deceased Kermit?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Another possibility is that the frog died of chytrid...which is supposedly quite common in petstore bought ADF's.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chytrid is a very possible reason. It would also mean that now your newts are infected...(provided they weren´t already).
That mix was a very bad idea for several reasons...i hope you learn from it though.

By the way i don´t think it was a toxin issue...very unlikely.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You'll never know what killed Kermit unless you had it's body sent off for examination.

As for chytrid, I bet every one of us has it in our collections.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to the other things mentioned, pet shop ADFs are mass produced, and have a reputation for being weak and inbred. So there are many possible reasons that the frog didn't make it.

TOMODELL

Reaction score
Aren't African frogs warm tropical species, living in water above 20ish degrees c. Most newts I thought could live happily at 16 degrees.
Just my thoughts, this also happened with my common frog I found in a pond.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1