Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Peninsula newt with gills help

uf

Reaction score
I caught 7 peninsula newts today and all of them are about 2 inches long and have external gills. I am currently housing them in a 20 gallon long tank with gravel bottom, i put a little block of bloodworms in the tank today. Am i doing an ok job raising them?? and how long untill they loose their gills?? Thanks, Scott

Nathan

Reaction score
Make sure the gravel is big enough that they can't choke on it. What kind of filtration do you have? What about long-term plans? That 20 gallon will be pretty crowded when all those newts grow up.

Perennibranchy (keeping gills into adulthood) is common in peninsula newts, so you may never see them transform.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about Notos swallowing gravel - they are fairly delicate eaters. But I worry more about the deadly mixture of gravel + frozen bloodworms. The bloodworms need to be offered in a gravel-free area so the leftovers can be cleaned out promptly. Otherwise, they will fall into the gravel and rot.

Whether or not a 20-long tank will be large enough depends on whether it has sufficient total water volume. How deep is the water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1