Question: New Pics Of Ron: And Worms!!!

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
Hi guys.

So, I took a few nice photos of Ron the other night.

Tonight, when feeding him, I noticed lots of tiny little white 'worms' sticking to the inside of the tank. Barely 1mm long. Any ideas what they could be? They were to small to photograph!

Attachments

• S73F1380.jpg
    S73F1380.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 201
  • S73F1386.jpg
    S73F1386.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 180
  • S73F1388.jpg
    S73F1388.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 178
  • S73F1391.jpg
    S73F1391.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 190
  • S73F1393.jpg
    S73F1393.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 202
  • S73F1395.jpg
    S73F1395.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 173
  • S73F1398.jpg
    S73F1398.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 171
  • S73F1401.jpg
    S73F1401.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 159
hmm what do you feed him?

I feed mine worms and noticed i had small little white worms on the side of my tank, was told they should be harmless as long as they dont actually attach to my axies.

They have all gone now aswell so have no idea what they were.

Earthworms.

And before people comment on his small gills, they are actually a lot better now than they were when i got him 4 months ago. His middle left gill also, has always faced forwards.

Good lookin fella, eh?:bowl:

yeh i think it must be something the worms have on them then, i give mine a good clean before hand now and have had no problems since.

He looks like my bam bam.

I think its maybe planaria, they aren't 'gangly' enough to be threadworms.

What is the cause of this, though?

In my case, at the moment, I have no live plants and he always eats his food straight away. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm no expert on the topic so i can't really say what the cause is. What i have found in other threads is:
they are detritus worms and are signs that you may need a water change. They usually start showing up when there's overfeeding, large bio-loads, or underfiltration of the tank.

They are generally considered to be pretty harmless, but if you are concerned here is a thread with info on how to remove them.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63695&highlight=planaria

Hey Mike,

They are great photos of Ron.
I love your tank set up
You must have a really good camera to take the close up shots

I have some too on my newt tank. Not many though; I don't over feed but I do leave food in for a while (a few hours) and take it out. I feed frozen bloodworms. I'm half cleaning them again tonight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back