Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Florida question

lutafisk

Reaction score
Hi my family is taking a vacation to this island off of florda which we do every year however I have only found one amphibian there and that was a small toad so i was wondering if perhaps i am just looking in the wrong places or what? There is a big pond on the island so there is freshwater.

Nathan

Reaction score
Which island? There may have been some surveys done there.

I have spent little time in Florida, but have seen various amphibians on coastal islands of the Carolinas and Virginia. Diversity is lower than on the nearby mainland, but there are usually green and squirrel treefrogs, various toads, narrowmouths, and sometimes bullfrogs to be found. These were fairly large islands, though. Populations on smaller islands are more susceptible to events such as droughts, floods, storm-surges, etc. which may completely eliminate a species from the island.

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
I'm a central Fl native, and I have a friend who works on Captiva. I know that they have problems with bird populations (baby birds) due to Cuban tree frogs. I'm sure if the birds are affected by the frogs, other amphibian species such as Squirrel frogs and Green tree frogs ( native Fl species) are probably also affected. I have also heard of Cane toads on Captiva (another non-native species) which does not surprise me...they're all over south Florida and throughout most of the Keys now. They have horrendous effects on native species. Aside from alien species issues, most of the water on captiva, even "fresh" is going to have a fair amount of salt in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!