Question: Can i put a yoyo loach or fw puffer with ribbed newts

TOMODELL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tank is almost overun with little snails, I've tried scooping them up but they seem to be breeding extremely fast. If anyone knows what I should do please pm me. Thanks
Tom :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not stick a piece of cucumber in a bowl inside the tank just before lights out, then 2 hours after lights out come back and remove the container. The snails will be in there trying to feed and shouldn't be able to get away fast enough. You might have to do this several times, but its the best way seeing as Sludgemonkey said, loaches have spines and puffers are brackish warm and quite mean.

ok thank you, ill try it tonight, there are a few freshwater puffers like the brazilian fresh water puffer but ill elave them out, anyway after i posted i realized they were warm water
thanks
tom

Any freshwater puffer will eat the toes and eys from your newts and then kill them. Puffers are always kept in a species tank. Which is by themselves!! Loaches have spines that will slice and kill your newts when they try to eat them. I have to say no good will ever come from putting any fish with your newts or axies I would think your ribbed newts would love eating snails. You can try just floating a large leaf of lettuce in the tank and pull it out in the morning. Should be plenty of snails on it. Stay away fronm the fish or any chemical snail removers that might be out there. They will remove your newts too.

Loaches get somehwat large and prefer to be in groups, and Puffers would harass and attack most tankmates... I'd say no

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back