Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Wasp larvae as alternative/temporary food for newt.

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Hello,
I found some Wasp Larvae today and I was wondering if it would be alright to feed them to my newts occasionally as i saw them and thought it would be a waste to just dispose of them!

thanks!!~:lick:

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
Im no Caudate expert, but Wasp larvae are not aquatic...
Also, I have to wonder how you ended up with wasp larvae :D:D

And imagine they pupated and matured in storage :eek:

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Oh, excuse me I meant to say wasp "Grubs" well thats what came up when I googled it.
They look like fat waxworms.

I ended up with the grubs after i knocked the nest down they were still in there little honey come nest.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
As long as the exoskeleton is still soft, I don't see what it would hurt. I know I would feed them to my critters if I ever got the oppurtunity.:D

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
As long as the exoskeleton is still soft, I don't see what it would hurt. I know I would feed them to my critters if I ever got the oppurtunity.:D

Thanks Greatwtehunter, After I read what you posted I went ahead and fed my 2 Cynops Orientalis the Wasp Grubs and they were refusing the grubs at first. Then i squished the grub so the newts can "smell" the insides :wacko:, Thereafter the newts quickly devoured 2 each!
I dont think im going to have the Grubs as a staple Diet for various reasons, One for them being so hard to obtain...:tongue:. But I think ill just use them as treats whenever I can get them.

Anyway, Thanks you too for your help It was greatly appreciated:D.

If anyone has any opinions feel free to reply I would love you hear what you have to say.

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
Well I'll be a Chicken's Nugget:rofl:

That's how new discoveries are made, right? :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1