Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Helpful Information on Axolotls?

warpedmind41

Reaction score
Hi!

I would really like to purchase an axolotl or two in the near future. As far as I know, I have what I need to start up a tank for it, minus plants and and hiding spots.

I currently have a 29 gallon and two 10 gallons, but I am only going to dedicate the 29 and one of the 10 gallons to this, because I need the other as a quarantine tank for my 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have a hood with a light, but I understand they don't really like light, so I will not keep it on very often. I have a stand that is already placed in the coldest room in my house, away from a window. I have a sandy substrate. I have heaters, but I will just put those away for now, since they don't need them. I have thermometers. And I have filters for each one.

I was wondering if I could put two in the 29 gallon one, or would that not work out well? Could I put a young one in the 10 gallon?

Other than plants and hiding places, what else would I need?

Do I need air stones? Because I have four extra ones right now.

Are there any sorts of fish I could put in there that wouldn't end up as food, as long as I keep the axolotl well fed?

What sort of food and where can I get the food? Can you get food for them at Petsmart or Petco? Or do you have to go to an LFS? I just moved to a new house and I have no idea where any LFS's are here.

Can anyone give me any additional information I could use, based on their personal experiences?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I would say you need a test kit but I would assume since you have a 55 gallon fish tank then you already have that.

You could use an air stone, they never hurt to have.

As for fish, I would either stick to guppies or white cloud minnows and just hope they don't get eaten.

Worms will be your best bet for food. You can get these at Gas stations, convenient stores, and even Wal-mart (in the sporting goods section).

warpedmind41

Reaction score
I do have a test kit, I actually just got it today(the aquarium was set up yesterday).

I have never seen the white cloud minnows before, or I don't recognize the name, at least. Are those are petco and petsmart?

And worms are okay? Those night crawlers at Warlmart are good to give to them? I figured they were, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks for the info!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Their scientific name is Tanichthys albonubes. A few other common names they go by are meteor minnows and chinese danio.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1