Red gills and tail in white/yellow axolotls...

queenielauren1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

This is just a question out of curiosity...

Why do my axolotls gills change colour?

I find that sometimes, theyre nearly white/yellow.... and then other times their this brilliant red. Often after he eats they'll go red, but sometimes its random.

Also when he is irrritated, he will shoot around the tank and then suddenly he has a red tail.

So im wondering, is this colour change, a mood indicator? food indicator? temperature?

Whats the story there?

On that note.. what exact colour would i call my axolotl... somedays hes real pale, but often has sortve a pale yellow colour.. his eyes are holographic, they can be white, or like pink..

Thanks for anything you guys can give me! :)

They get red because more blood flows through them. If you'll notice, they mainly get like that when it is active. When they are pale is when it is generally being lazy, as usual.

It sounds like an albino axolotl to me.

Ah cool... thanks. :)

So that is the only reason they change colour? That is interesting..they never really did it when he was younger, his tail certainly didnt.. Ive had him since he was 2 months old. He was only 6cm.. He has gotten so much bigger since then! Amazing how fast they grow.

Will he continue to grow, or only grow to the size of his tank?

He will continue to grow regardless of tank size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back