Question: How long can my axi survive without a filter?

Gin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Gina
Hi guys,

I bought my first axi yesterday but unfortunately I have no filter as I tried to make one from those DIY youtube vids but mine turned out to be a disaster!! It only stirred the water up and didn't cycle the water at all...:mad:

Anyhow, I was wondering whether what I'm doing now is sufficient or whether I should go out and get a filter (I am a bit low on money atm...):

- I have a pump and an airstone (the pump is quite strong actually and I'm worried it might stress out the axi - the pump was my dad's, who owned a 4ft tank. My tank is less than 2 ft.)
- I am/will change 10% of the water daily - I use an airline tube to siphon most of the uneaten bloodworms

Is this at all sufficient? (probably isnt I'm guessing!)

Also, while I'm at it...my axi hasnt eaten since I brought it home (so for 2 days). Is this normal? I am feeding it bloodoworms. The water is around 19C. I am trying to cool it a little by putting an tub of ice on top of the tank.

Sorry for the long post - just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my axi!

Your axie will be fine without a filter and regular water changes, in fact some people have axie tanks with no filters permanently. This can work if you keep the water quality under control and have lots of live plants, though it's probably for the more experienced axolotl keeper.

Until you can get a filter though, keep an eye on your water chemistry and try to keep the temperature down. 19 degrees isn't too bad a temperature if you can keep at that or below your axie will be happy!

Don't worry about the axie not eating yet, it's probably still a little stressed from all the changing homes! Try offering earthworms if you can get hold of them, they are more nutritious for your axie and may be more readily taken as the movement can attract the axie. Also blackworms are recommended as a good staple food.

Thank you so much!!

Major relief...!! BEcause it was floating as well last night and I was so worried! but this morning its nice and healthy at the bottom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back