Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Green Water Bloom!

GoldenChed

Reaction score
Hey folks we have a slight problem with our aquarium for our axolotl. About one week ago the water began to go very green. I have done 2 water changes in the past 4 days (the last water change was almost 3/4 of the water in the tank). Alan our axolotl is very relaxed when i clean his tank or carry out water changes, so this is not really a problem. However i am rather worried how this has happened and any risks to his health. There has been no major changes in the aquarium, ie temperature change. So i am a bit perplexed why this has happend and why the water changes are having little affect on the "greeness" of the water. Please Help!

Craig

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Do you know your water parameters? I'm not sure if theey would have any effect on algae in the water, but might be worth posting them to see if it gives anyone a clue as to what's going on.

pete

Reaction score
Generally, algae grows when there's an excess of nutrients, either dissolved or light. Green water is not necessarily bad for your critter, but isn't the most aesthetic. I tend to get green water in the summer when I have my aquarium lights on the longest and when temperatures are a little warmer. I have always been able to get it under control in a week or two by reducing the lighting and doing frequent water changes.

Edit: There is some information on algae in Caudata Culture, but you can find more with a Google search, too.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

PanTech

Reaction score
Funny that this post came up,
I just got the same problem....GREEN WATER.
Need help with getting it fixed.
I got co2 system running in my tank though, and got 6wpg lighting running for 12 hour cycle.
did nitrate an ammonia tests came up with none of either

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1