Axolotl tank size

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sized tank would you recommend for 1 adult axolotl and for 2 adult axolotl?

I've read loads of conflicting advice when it comes to sizes - even on this site.

Many Thanks :)

Hi dipsydoodle!

I believe one comonly says at least 80 cm long, but comments like "as long as you have enough hides" make me nervous. I'm a "more is more" kinda girl and would really recommend not having a tank shorter than 100 cm long and 45 cm wide. Me, mine are all 120x45x50 and because I find it the perfect size. I could comfortably house 3 adult axolotls in any one of these tanks, plus plants and hides and a few little feeder animals to round out the environment.

-Eva

haha you are replying to all of my posts :)

I can only fit a 2 foot tank at the minute; I've read on this site that the size is ideal for 2 adults. I think after looking at it myself and thinking about it with a "mature" hat on that I will get one axolotl. I did want 2 however for the sake of the axolotl I don't realistically have space for 2 in there when they grow. I read one post that 45cm long was ideal for 2 adults!!! :eek:

i'd go for one adult axie for a 2ft tank then an extra ft per axie extra minimum :happy:

Thank you both; I think I have convinced myself that one axolotl will be fine in that tank :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back