Fly Spray?

Amiracle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Amiracle
Hi All, just a quick question...I have been vigilant for years making sure that no one has sprayed anythingnear my axie tank, until today when some bees got into the house while I was at work and my sister went beserk with the fly spray in the same room that my axies are kept in. She insists it is all fine since the spray is the odourless kind, but I am furious at her. I am just wondering will this harm my axolotls? and how is the best way to get this issue under control before it can actually hurt them?
It's a 3 foot tank, relatively smallroom and she sprayed close, but not "on top" of the tank.
Cheers in advance for your replies.

I use a natural, farm safe spray around pet parrots, but I don't trust things that say "odorless". There are plenty of deadly gasses that are also odorless. I would start with a water change ASAP. I don't know how sensitive axies are, but at least 25%.

Good luck!

Most insect repellants and sprays contain chemicals that inhibit certain chemical pathway in the insect and thus cause its death. THere is certain degree of overlap with the toxicity to other species, including humans. I always advice clients and students not to spray aerosols, plug in diffusers and such near an axie tank. Being odourless has nothing to do with the toxicity, otherwise it would not be useful to kill insects.

Additionally, the axie lives in an environment that has a fixed 'volume'. Any contaminant that goes in can get concentrated over time in the water, unlike in the air where they can be diffused or blown away just by having an open window. The axie also cannot escape from the environment.

There has been clinical evidence that these aerosols can contaminate the water and cause profound long and short term impacts. Very frequently, the axies in this situation react quite rapidly by skin sloughing, excessive mucus production or even neurological signs.

The best way to prevent this problem is to avoid spraying aerosols and having a secure tank lid to minimise contaminants entering the tank. As a salvage procedure, i would advice small frequent water changes to dilute out any toxins and you can incorporate zeolite/activated carbon granules in your filter system. They will get rid of most toxins quite effectively.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back