Going Away...

axiewhisperer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Elle
Hi all, haven't been on here lately... Second last semester of uni and festivities associated with my 21st have sucked my time. I tried to find a smilie that would convey the appropriate amount of stress/frustration/mental disturbance however got nothing. It's good to be back... But we digress.

I am going away for a week in mid October. I will be able to have someone feed Kasper a couple of times in the week, however my bigger concern is to do with the fact that I live in Surfers Paradise where it's getting rather warm. I rotate frozen bottles about four times a day, but I can't really have someone come around three or four times a day. So how can I keep my little monster cool? Cannot cannot cannot afford a chiller. I thought of putting her in the fridge for the week but again feel I can't really ask anyone to be doing water changes every day. There's nowhere cooler for the tank to go... I live in a top floor apartment. Any suggestions??? Or will little Kasper be coming to stay with me at the Novotel in Melbourne?

If you put him in a larger container in the fridge (bucket, big bowl, large fish bowl even), you'll have to change the water less frequently. If you can get someone to come by every other day or every 3 days, you should be fine.

I would say if you can somehow get him/her into a big container in the fridge, or move to a cool area in the house. A axolotl should be ok for a week without being fed though.

If you are not flying, take him with you. I am very attached to my pets which include a dog, blue-fronted Amazon parrot, two guinea pigs, and six aquariums of newts. After a bad experience, I cannot help but say, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

The only option I would consider is to check with a pet store to see if they would be able to care for him or know someone very familiar with amphibians that might help you out.

I cannot more strongly suggest NOT taking it with you. This will be very stressful to the animal, and very difficult for you to care for on the road in the heat.

Put him in a container that hold about 3-5 gallons and put him in the botom of the frig. Cover the top with a screen. He will be fine for a week. The cool temp will slow his metabolism. He will go a week fine without food. Its not like Axies get to eat everyday in the wild and they seem to make it some how.

Hi guys! Thanks for your advice.

I am flying but I do like the large container in fridge idea if all else fails. I don't like letting him go a whole week without food, he isn't a fatty by any stretch of the imagination but he is a guts... And I cater to his every whim haha.

I MAY have bribed someone with rum to come over daily... Fingers crossed it all pans out.

Hello,
Just make sure the person looking after your Axolotl will look after him properly.
I had someone look after Sunny for 10 days. I had wrigglers in his tank, his water was so low i'm surprised that the filter didn't blow, it was an absolute mess and theer were traces that he may have picked him up as they used to ppick theirs up and keep it out of the water because they thought they could use lungs and be out of water for a long period :O I was shocked.

Don't let any of this happen to you little one make sure the person helping is acually helping =]
and goodluck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back