Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Putting on weight

179shaz179

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i just wanted to let you all know that my firebelly newt is putting on weight. Were getting there. The first picture is from when i first had it the next ones were taken on 2nd oct 2009.
Let me know what you all think.
JubJub20Sep200914.jpg

And now ..........................

JubJub2Oct2009033.jpg

JubJub2Oct2009001.jpg

JubJub2Oct2009003.jpg

JubJub2Oct2009018.jpg

Calista

Banned
Reaction score
Is it a male or female and how long have you had him/her? If it is not gravid, it is definitely a male. I would not let him/her get too large; it is difficult to get them to lose weight. I am going throught that with three of mine now, and I would never let it happen again.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
The shot of it from above looks like it could be gravid. Is the newt alone? My female was always heavier than the male. I was shocked to see she was laying eggs one day...then I found this site and what a wealth of information and wonderful individuals.

If it's a she and she's been in contact with a male, watch for eggs though it's not the technically correct season for it. In captivity, I think it's a bit less of a seasonal thing.

Dana

179shaz179

Reaction score
Nope he she is alone. There were more of them but not for a long ime. To be honest i dont really know much about them. Someone wasnt looking after him so i seen him and fell in love. A week later i took him home. Him trying to find out more about them, but different people say different things and im not sure who to listen to.
I was told that you should keep them in groups then someone else said if i put smaller ones in they will get eaten, this was from two different pet shops. Thats y i came on here. I really want to do the right thing by him, but i dont know what the right thing is.
How do i know if it is bloat. What does it do to them do they get sick?

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Check out Caudata Culture here - click on the link at the top of the page. Check out the caresheets and the section on illness. Here's a link on bloat: Caudata Culture Articles: Bloat Don't be alarmed by the first few pics - they are of healthy, gravid newts and are there to show the difference between that and bloat.

Bloat affects the throat, too, so the whole body is thicker. If it's just the lower abdomen, as it appeared in one of your pics, the newt is likely gravid (carrying eggs.) If it's been a very long time since being around other newts, perhaps he/she's overeating. I feed my adults 2-3 times per week.

Don't listen to the pet stores. I've found that an hour on this site has proven to be far more educational that talking to them for weeks...

Good luck,
Dana

oregon newt

Reaction score
It definitely does not have bloat. It may be gravid, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has had contact with a male. All that means is that your newt is carrying eggs. It aslo may not e gravid and just a little plump. If that's the case, I would say your newt looks fine. Maybe it could even get a little more plumper. However, now that it is at a healthy weight, I would try reducing whatever frequency you were feeding it at to 3 times a week.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I really liked your pictures; I have a newt which looks like your first photo; really skinny. It gives me hope now. I put a lot of food in the other day and it all disappeared; although I don't know which one ate it :(. The skinny newt likes to sit up on some rocks and the other in the water; I left food in the water and two piles on the rock.

Ralf

Reaction score
AW: Putting on weight

Hi dipsydoodle,
whenever there is one or more skinny individuals in a group of newts, it is a good idea to house and/or feed the skinny ones separately until they have put on some weight. The skinny ones usually are weaker and wont get as much food as the stronger ones during feeding time. When feeding separately, you can also feed more often or different food organisms.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I do normally keep watch on who eats what; but not last time. Besides one never leaves the water to eat the ones on the rock.

179shaz179

Reaction score
I love watching him feed, its really good. I feed him with tweezers so i know how much he is eating. Thanks for all the comments i know you lot are the best people to talk to as your all living with these rather than pet shops that just guess half the time :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!