Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Silk like material on everything

Greg31

Reaction score
I recently set up a new tank, added nothing that wasnt in my old tank, and recently i am noticing that there is a silk like material hanging off of almost everything in my tank. It is either coating stuff or being pulled by the filter making it up to 3 inches long.

Any idea what this is, and how I can fix this?

Calista

Banned
Reaction score
Do you have your newts/salamanders in the tank? If so, what kind?

Greg31

Reaction score
Not to be rude but I am posting in the axolotl section ;). I have one 5 inch axololt in the tank right now.

dodgy

Reaction score
is it a green colour?
it sounds like (hair algae?)
your tank is either getting too much direct sunlight and/or too high nitrate levels for it to feed off
hope this helps

Reaction score
There has been at least one case of recombination of DNA from a living being with the one from an spider due to a high dose of radiation.

You can test if this is your case, by placing your ax in wall, and seen if he can climb up.;)

If negative, it may be some kind of "thread algae"(hope this is at least a recognizable translation). Anyway, you can remove it manually and then reduce the time and/or intensity of the light, and increase the frequency of water changes.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How new is the setup? It may be too early for this to be hair/thread algae.

Sometimes there is some gunk that precipitates out of the water in a newly-setup tank, but it looks more like a fluffy material, not silky.

Is it easy to remove from surfaces?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe some kind of fungus. Try to take a picture.

Greg31

Reaction score
Well i woke up and it is everywhere now. I cant get a picture of it, but it is kind of slimy. It latches onto anything and just hangs there.

pete

Reaction score
It is likely a fungal or bacterial bloom, which may suggest your water parameters may be all screwy. I would suggest starting water changes, and I suspect that this will subside once the new tank is fully cycled. I'd look into checking your parameters, and check if there is some recent accumulation of food/waste that the newly established tank can't handle yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1