Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How aquatic are M. a. alpestris?

jbherpin

Reaction score
I have an adult female in a temp set-up, she spends equal time in the tilted water part as on land. The water is only like .5" deep, and i don't know if that is too little/too much! Looking to set up a permanant tank soon... Thanks in advance for any input!

-jbherpin-

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Have you read the CaudataCultureArticle? It gives info on housing. I havent kept the species but for an aquatic species 0.5 inches seems quite shallow. If there isnt a large volume of water the chemistry can go bad quickly. I would have at least 3-5 inches of water for aquatic and semi aquatic species.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I have an adult female in a temp set-up, she spends equal time in the tilted water part as on land. The water is only like .5" deep, and i don't know if that is too little/too much! Looking to set up a permanant tank soon... Thanks in advance for any input!

-jbherpin-

I don't know if she was being kept aquatic before I got her, or if terrestrial. I am all too familiar with cycling and chemistry, etc... My qyestion was more looking for individual's experiences...Also, I have read the care article, I would still like some input from people who ARE keeping them...
Thanks for the direction anyway AJ...

-jbherpin-

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
There are certain situations which leaves the owner in (somewhat) control of what the newt does. If given a small swallow water area and a substantial land area the newt will most likely use both unless they are extreme (100% aquatic or terrestrial). If your newt does fine in the water than by all means increase the water, if it seems to avoid the water or does not seems comfortable then drop it. Given great choices of both will ultimately leading to the newt showing you what it prefers but depending on the species will also enjoy both without ill effects. Seeing that alpestris can be kept in both a semi-aquatic or completely means it is up to you. IMO 1/2" of water in any tank is not suitable for an adult aquatic newt which might lead to much more time on. I know my T. dobrogicus female would use the land almost exclusively if given a nice land area but stayed aquatic and would eat better if moved to a deeper aquatic setup with just a cork island. If it isnt the water volume it could be other factors like temperature, food, etc.

Have you tried different arrangements? And even if your newt does prefer mostly water it still is acceptable to make a land portion if you want it and the newt uses it. Please dont think I am being belittling or anything of the sort, I have many times asked this about different species and found out that as long as you meet the requirements the rest is up to you really. I say increase the water height/volume and obverse what happens, most aquatic newts should take well to a minimum of 4" in depth.

Hope this helps,

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1