Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping more than one Firebelly newt?

179shaz179

Reaction score
Can i put a smaller FBN in with the one that i already have? I was told that if i do they will fight. Are they happy on there own?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends what type of fire bellied newt you have, it's rather a generic term. If you're talking about the genus Cynops i.e Japanese or Chinese fire bellied newts, then assuming they have sufficient space 2 would live together peacefully.

Caution should be taken with newts of the genus Pachytriton aka Paddle tailed newts (which also have an orange belly). They can be very territorial and fight.

Newts are not social animals and are fine on their own. If kept in pairs or groups they tend to be more active and can therefore make more interesting tank subjects.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
In response to Mark's response I should say I have two chinese fire bellied newts together.

My newts haven't really interacted with each other; they will watch each other and have on occasion sat next to each other but one likes the deep water and the other one likes land and swimming on the surface. When I clean their tank I put them in a small container and even in there they don't interact with each other. They might as they get more used to each other. Although having one that likes water and one that likes "land" and the surface it is interesting as you can always see one or the other.

YellaPieSlinger

Reaction score
Uh, I have 8 together in one tank and they don't fight. One seems to be less aggressive at feeding time, so will have to separate it from the rest. This same one also stays out of the water more than any of the others.

Holding2k9

Reaction score
i keep 9 Cynops orientalis (Chinese Fire-Bellied Newt)
and apart from the odd bite during feeding time they are completely fine with each other.
size issues only occur when you may keep juveniles with fully mature newts or when food is in short supply.

Also newts are not social creatures however when in breeding season their behaviour is facinating .

I Hope This Helps :)

179shaz179

Reaction score
I now have another one ! Im so glad i found one. I must admit they were quite hard to find. They havent had any problems yet so fingers crossed they will get on. I thought if i get just one, they cant single out one. Heres some pics

This s my first one Jub Jub. Someone didnt want him so i had him.

JubJub-16Oct20090324.jpg

This is my new one Nugget.

Nugget-16Oct2009028.jpg

And this is them making friends

JubJubnNugget-16Oct2009024.jpg

Jub Jub likes having his picture taken. He looks at the camera :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!